Sunday, November 25, 2007

God's Holy Place


It's Sunday again and I'm on my way
To hear all the things that God has to say
My very own place where no-one can see
Each week I am there by my favorite tree

I watch everyone as they're walking in
With dresses of silk and suits for the men
I know they are blessed it shows on their face
They're happy to share God's holiest place

I wish I could go but I don't belong
I couldn't shame God with clothes that are wrong
As I wait to hear the pastor's sweet voice
These dark clouds appear I must make a choice
With thunder so loud and lightning all round
I run to the church through rain pouring down

I open the door so quiet and slow
I'll stay in the back so no-one will know
As I turn around the silence was there
Heads turned one by one they started to stare

The whispers I heard had hurt even more
Especially the one I heard by the door
"How dare she come in to this holy place
Her dress is just rags with dirt on her face"

I thought to myself "How cruel they can be"
As I watched each one just staring at me
I felt so ashamed my tears start to fall
I clung to my dress not moving at all

When I turned to leave I heard someone say
"Please join us my friend I've prayed for this day"
His hand covered mine as I turned to see
The pastor had tears in his eyes for me

He led me up to the very front row
And whispered "God's pleased you don't have to go"
The carpet was soft as clouds in the sky
I saw paintings of the angels that fly
Such colors of red bright silver and gold
Yes this really was a sight to behold

Unworthy I felt to be in this place
And then my eyes saw the pain on his face
A statue of Christ that stood very tall
Mistreated by man yet died for us all

Then I had noticed the dirt on his face
And rags that he wore in this holy place
I looked at my dress so ragged and torn
Yes this was the best that I could have worn

The pastor then smiled when he looked at me
He knew this was what I needed to see
His thought for the day when church was all through
"Judge Ye Not Your Brother For God Will Judge You"

In silence they left he said no good-byes
Then he came by me with tears in his eyes
He said he was glad for his answered prayer
I knew then he'd seen me sitting out there

Then on my old dress a white rose he laid
He made it all worth the price I had paid
He said, "Don't you know it's God you must please
What's deep in your heart is all that he sees"

He held my hand tight then wiped my last tear
He said "Please come back you are welcome here"
While walking back home cold rain on my face
So much like the eyes in "God's Holy Place"

I know now I'm rich yes he made me see
God even will Love a person like me

by Freda H. Babinski

No comments: