Sunday, November 25, 2007

If I'd Only Known

"O, Father," I cried,
"If I had only known
How rugged the pathway that lay ahead,
How barren the desert that I would tread,
I would have drunk more deeply of the living fount
And savored more fully the time on the mount.


Yes, Father in Heaven,
If I had only known
Of the flood’s raging waters that I’d have to cross,
The pain and the heartache when all seemed but loss,
I would have lingered awhile in green pastures fair
Beside placid waters in fresh mountain air.


Almighty Father,
If I had only known."


"Ah, Child," He replied,
"Do you not understand?
The times of refreshing were My gift to you,
Sweet tastes of My glory, your joy to renew,
But this life can’t be lived free from struggle each day,
To become what I will, you must walk in My way.


My tired, weary Child,
Do you not understand?
I’ve suffered your pain, felt the sorrow you’ve known;
There was never a moment that you were alone.
The trials have matured you, perfecting My plan.
At all times you were safe in the palm of My hand.
Oh, My beloved Child,
Now do you understand?"


(by Diane Thompson )

No comments: